APP, MAIN, SIDE DISH, DESSERT?
Appetizer, Main, Side dish
FEEDS HOW MANY?
2 as main, 4 as appetizer
FAST, WEEKNIGHT, WEEKEND?
WHO I MADE IT FOR?
I first made this dish on a pretty traumatic day. My friend was coming over for lunch with her dog (a tiny Dachshund) and the two other massive British labs that live on our property attacked him (and my friend). The caretaker of the property had to pry these dogs off of my friend who was cradling her poor puppy. After that awful experience, we ate this! I made it again as a side dish for Kelsey during dinner once. It’s easy to scale for a crowd and easy to change up. Don’t have sausage? Add bacon. Want something completely vegetarian (vegan)? Maybe add some quinoa or other supergrains to pump up the meal.
Butternut squash (1 medium, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes)
Zucchini (2, cut into rounds)
Shallots (2, sliced thinly)
Pork sausage (2 links, guts squeezed out)
Pomegranate seeds (1/4 cup)
Pine nuts (1/4 cup)
Cilantro (1/4 cup, chopped, for garnish)
Coconut yogurt, plain (4 tablespoons)
Garlic (2 cloves, flattened)
Lemon (juice from 1)
Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Make the dressing: combine coconut yogurt, garlic, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mix well. Set aside.
- Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil with butternut squash, zucchini, and shallots. Lay flat on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes until squash is tender and zucchini is crisp.
- Add a little bit of olive oil to a skillet over medium heat and brown sausage (~15 mins). Set aside but leave behind some of the sausage grease.
- Brown pine nuts in sausage grease over medium heat (~3 mins). Be very careful not to burn the pine nuts.
- Mix squash, zucchini, shallots, sausage and pine nuts. Serve and spoon a little bit of yogurt dressing over each serving. Top with cilantro and serve immediately.
BOTTOM LINE: Healthyish? Easy and delicious!