APP, MAIN, SIDE DISH, DESSERT?
Main, Side dish
FEEDS HOW MANY?
FAST, WEEKNIGHT, WEEKEND?
Such an easy chicken recipe! Don’t be intimidated by the spice list. It’s a lot but they all add something. If you can’t find fresh, substitute with half of the dried spice.
WHO I MADE IT FOR?
This was the first meal I made when I got back to Boston. I made it for Patley. I mixed a NYTimes recipe with a recipe in my fav cookbook of the moment, NOPI. If you can find sumac, go for it. I couldn’t and I don’t think my chicken suffered. I also don’t add the cheese to the NOPI salad, obviously.
Chicken thighs (boneless, skinless, 6)
Garlic cloves (6 cloves, grated on a microplane–did not have a microplane until recently; have been missing out)
Fresh parsley (2 tablespoons, minced)
Fresh thyme (1 tablespoon, minced)
Fresh oregano (1 tablespoon, minced)
Sesame seeds (1 tablespoon)
Coconut milk yogurt (2/3 cup)
Oyster mushrooms (7 oz, cleaned and cut into halves if large)
Olive oil (7 tablespoons)
Lemon juice (juice from 1 lemon + 2 tablespoons)
Lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
Red wine vinegar (1.5 teaspoons)
Maple syrup (1.5 teaspoons)
Brussels sprouts (8 oz, tough outer layers removed, thinly sliced)
Egg (poached, optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Mix mushrooms with 1 tablespoon olive oil, some salt and pepper. Spread on parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine all but 1 teaspoon microplaned garlic with parsley, thyme, oregano, sesame seeds, lemon zest from 1/2 lemon, juice of 1 lemon to make a paste. Spread paste all over chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, up to 24 hours in the fridge. If you choose to marinate in the fridge, take it out of the fridge 30 minutes before you’re ready to start cooking.
- Prepare to broil the chicken–arrange a rack 4 inches from the flame. Line a baking tray with foil and lay out the chicken in a single layer. Broil chicken for 4-7 minutes per side utnil charred in spots.
- Combine yogurt, the rest of the lemon zest, parsley.
- Mix 4 tablespoons olive oil, 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice, red wine vinegar, maple syrup. Toss raw Brussels sprouts with sauce and add in reserved mushrooms.
- Serve chicken on the side of the salad dolloping thighs with the yogurt mix.
- If you’re feeling frisky, add a poached egg on top the salad.
BOTTOM LINE: Each of the elements of the recipe would be great on their own or as additions to another menu. They’re basic and easy to play around with.