APP, ENTREE, SIDE DISH, DESSERT?
FEEDS HOW MANY?
7 hours (only about 20 minutes of this are active)
FAST, WEEKNIGHT, WEEKEND?
Weeknight (if you prepare it in the morning), Weekend (easy for a crowd)
Depending on how stocked your pantry is, you may need to invest in certain ingredients
Slow cooker (or dutch oven)
WHO I MADE IT FOR?
I made this for Brandon, Lindsay and Kels a few weeks (months?) ago. It was super easy although it was slightly difficult to eat because of the juiciness. Adapted from this recipe. The NYT cooking section is awesome.
Sesame oil (1 tablespoon for pork, 1 tablespoon for slaw)
Onion (1, diced)
Garlic (8 cloves, minced)
Ginger (2 tablespoons for pork, 2 teaspoons for slaw, minced)
Hoisin sauce (1/2 cup)
Fish sauce (1/4 cup, sometime I sub out half with coconut aminos)
Sriracha (1+ tablespoon for pork and slaw)
Pork shoulder (3 lbs boneless, the NYT calls for 5 lbs bone-in but that can be annoying to find sometimes)
Rice vinegar (1/3 cup)
Grapeseed oil (2 tablespoons)
Cabbage (1/2 purple cabbage, sliced thinly into ribbons)
Cucumbers (2, peeled and julienned)
Carrots (2, peeled and julienned)
Pear (1, peeled and julienned)
Cilantro (1 cup for garnish)
Tortillas (16 tortillas, I’m partial to corn always)
- Heat skillet over medium heat, add sesame oil. Add onions and cook until onions begin to soften, about 5 mins. Add garlic and continue to cook until onions are translucent about 5 mins. Take off heat and stir in ginger (the proportions are suggestions–if you like more garlic or ginger, go for it).
- Add hoisin sauce and fish sauce (or soy sauce) to pan and stir to combine). Add sriracha (more if you want more heat). If too thick, thin with a little bit of water.
- Add half of sauce to the bottom of slow cooker. Place pork in slow cooker and pour the rest of the sauce over it. Cook on low for 5 to 7 hours until pork easily shreds with fork. Shred pork with fork and add back to slow cooker to let it soak up the juices.
- For slaw: combine vinegar, ginger, sesame oil, grapeseed oil, sriracha. Toss cabbage, cucumber, carrot and pear with slaw sauce.
- To serve: add pork (careful with juices) and top with slaw. Add cilantro for garnish.
BOTTOM LINE: Delicious dish to make for a crowd that requires a total of 20 mins of work.