APP, ENTREE, SIDE DISH, DESSERT?
FEEDS HOW MANY?
2 hours ish
FAST, WEEKNIGHT, WEEKEND?
Depending on your pantry, you should have many of these staples
If you have a wok, it helps.
WHO I MADE IT FOR?
Based on this recipe. I made this originally for just Kelsey and I and loved it so much. Made it again for Julie, Austin, Travis and Liz. Crispy rice forever! The nice part of the rice is you can basically flavor it with whatever spices you have on hand. For this dish I used garlic powder, fennel seed and mustard powder. I can imagine crispy rice with mustard powder paired with some ribs would be a good combo. I use chicken thighs over drumsticks just because I prefer that meat.
Short-grain rice (6 cups cooked and cooled)
Garlic powder (2 teaspoons)
Fennel seed (2 teaspoons)
Mustard powder (2 teaspoons)
Onion (1, diced)
Garlic (8, minced)
Ginger (2 tablespoons, minced)
Gochujang paste (1/2 cup, I like it spicy)
Soy sauce (1/4 cup)
Sugar (2 tablespoons)
Sesame oil (1 tablespoon)
Chicken thighs (boneless, skinless, 2 lbs)
Vegetable oil (2+ tablespoons)
Chicken broth (4 cups)
Scallions (6 scallions, sliced for garnish)
- Cook the rice and cool it. You can make the rice ahead of time (1 day ahead) to make it easier. I always forget to cook the rice the day before, so instead I lay out a giant sheet of parchment paper and place the rice in a very thin layer on the parchment paper (max surface area cooling). This also makes it easy to mix in whatever spices you’ll be using. In this case, add the garlic powder, fennel seed and mustard powder and mix.
- Mix onion, garlic, ginger, gochujang, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and salt/pepper. Set aside.
- Heat wok over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil. Working in batches, sear chicken until lightly browned on both sides (about 5 mins per side).
- Put back all of the chicken in the broth. Add reserved gochujang sauce and mix. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover and let cook for 45-55 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the crispy rice. Heat another skillet over medium-high heat. Add some vegetable oil. Take handfuls of the spiced rice and form into patties. Working in batches, place patties on skillet and cook until golden about 5-7 minutes per side.
- To serve: add cripsy rice patty. Top with chicken and scallions and generous pours of sauce.
BOTTOM LINE: A comfort-food like feeling with a twist.