APP, ENTREE, SIDE DISH, DESSERT?
Whatever light salad you can scrounge up to make yourself feel better
FEEDS HOW MANY?
FAST, WEEKNIGHT, WEEKEND?
Oven proof skillet
WHO I MADE IT FOR?
Based on this recipe (dubbed “Cock-a-Leekie Pie”), I made it for LoBue and Kelsey. I omit the prunes, add WAY more bacon and thyme than it calls for and buy pastry dough. I will never make pastry dough on a regular basis. It’s one of those things that takes me hours to do and I end up with weird dough; I’ll leave it to the professionals. I should really invest in a rolling pin. A bottle of wine is a good substitute in a pinch, but it’s not the most efficient tool.
Bacon (1/3 lb, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces)
Chicken thighs (2 lbs)
Leeks (3, white/light green parts cut in thin rounds)
Butter (4 tablespoons)
Thyme leaves (1 tablespoon)
Flour (1/3 cup)
Chicken broth (2 cups)
Pastry sheets (2, one for the bottom and one for the top of the pie)
- Move rack to lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Cook bacon in medium-sized pan over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add chicken (working in batches if you have to, don’t overcrowd the chicken) and cook for ~3 mins until browned, flipping once. Once you’ve browned all of the chicken and assuming you did it in batches, add all of the chicken back to the skillet, add a splash of water, cover, turn heat to low-medium and cook for 10 mins. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Turn up heat to medium-high. Add leeks to skillet. Cook until starting to soften, about 5 mins. Turn heat to low-medium, add splash of water, cover and cook for an additional 7 mins until leeks are super soft.
- Meanwhile, shred chicken.
- Add butter to another saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add flour and whisk vigourously. Slowly, add in broth (a little bit at a time) and whisk. You should have a thick, beautiful sauce at the end.
- Combine chicken, leeks and thyme. Add sauce to mixture and mix well.
- Roll out pastry sheets on lightly floured surface. Lay one sheet over the skillet you plan to use for the pie letting the edges drape ~1 inch over. Pour leek-chicken mix into skillet over pastry sheet. Lay second pastry sheet over mixture, securing edges around skillet. Cut top pastry sheet to vent, brush with egg.
- Add skillet to oven and cook for 1 hour until crust is golden brown. Let pie cool slightly before digging in.
BOTTOM LINE: Coma-inducing good, great for a night when you don’t have plans after.