APP, ENTREE, SIDE DISH, DESSERT?
Appetizer, Entree, Side dish
FEEDS HOW MANY?
FAST, WEEKNIGHT, WEEKEND?
A very simple soup so not too many ingredients
WHO I MADE IT FOR?
I made this for Kelsey after reading it in the Genius cookbook (adapted from recipe here). I ate three bowls in 20 minutes. I am obsessed with this soup.
Yukon gold potatoes (2 lbs, peeled and cut into uneven chunks)
Prosciutto (6 oz, I love the ham in this soup so I add way more than the recipe calls for; I didn’t have enough prosciutto the first time I made this so I mixed it with some rosemary ham)
Vegetable/chicken stock (6 cups)
Blanched almonds (3/4 cup)
Garlic (8 cloves, peeled)
Sherry vinegar (1 tablespoon)
Parsley (4 tablespoons, minced)
- Heat 1/3 cup of olive oil in dutch oven over med-high heat. Add almonds and garlic. Stir and cook until almonds are golden making sure to monitor heat to avoid burning. Remove almonds and garlic and reserve in bowl.
- Add prosciutto and stir for 1 min. Add potatoes and stir well. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Remove any fat at the top and simmer.
- Meanwhile, place almond garlic mixture in food processor and chop/blend to your desired consistency. Set aside 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture; add the rest of the mixture to the soup.
- Steep saffron in a little bit of soup broth for 2 mins and then add to soup. Simmer until half of potatoes have disintegrated about 35 mins.
- You can change the consistency to match what you’d like–if you want something thicker/creamier, break up some of the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Add sherry vinegar to reserved almond-garlic mixture and then add this into the soup. Add in parsley and stir for about 1 min. Serve immediately!
BOTTOM LINE: My new favorite soup!!!