APP, ENTREE, SIDE DISH, DESSERT?
Entree with built in side dishes
FEEDS HOW MANY?
FAST, WEEKNIGHT, WEEKEND?
Weeknight (ambitious), weekend
Chicken is heavy
WHO I MADE IT FOR?
Found this recipe on Bon Appetit and altered it slightly. I’m a big fan of radishes so replaced the potatoes with my pink friends. The first time I made this (for Gar and Linds), I used butter lettuce instead of escarole and I think I preferred that.
Chicken legs (4, thigh and drumstick)
Olive oil (3 cups)
Garlic (2 heads, sliced into quarters)
Shallots (4, sliced in half)
Radishes (2 bunches)
Thyme (8 sprigs)
Lemon zest (1 tablespoon)
Lemon juice (1-2 tablespoons)
Escarole (1 head, broken into pieces)
- Preheat oven to 275. Season chicken legs liberally with salt and place in baking dish with thyme, shallots, and garlic. Pour in olive oil. Cook for 2-2.5 hours.
- Remove from oven and reserve olive oil.
- Using copious amount of the chicken-fat-infused olive oil, cook radishes and a few thyme springs on skillet over high heat until soft (~15 min). Put radishes back in baking dish.
- Using some more of the wonderful chicken-fat-infused olive oil, heat skillet over med heat. Add chicken legs two at a time skin side down and cook until crisped (~10 mins). Remove and repeat with remaining two chicken legs.
- Place chicken back in baking dish with radishes to serve.
- Add lemon zest and juice to escarole (or butter lettuce) and toss well. Serve greens on the side.
BOTTOM LINE: Requires a significant investment in time and olive oil but totally worth it. Perfect for a cozy dinner party.