APP, ENTREE, SIDE DISH, DESSERT?
FEEDS HOW MANY?
This made 40 mini chicken and waffles
Overnight brine, 45 mins cooking time
FAST, WEEKNIGHT, WEEKEND?
Depends on how many chicken and waffles… I’m thankful for my stairs after I stuff my face with these
I have a deep fryer but that’s obviously not necessary; you do need a pot big enough to hold the chicken while it brines
WHO I MADE IT FOR?
Another app from Vane’s going away party. This could easily be turned into a meal for less people by changing the size of the pieces of chicken and opting for bigger waffles. The big cheat here is I used frozen mini Eggo waffles. I could have made my own but why? Eggos are so good and if you’re doing this for a party, they make it 100x easier. For me, the best part of chicken and waffles is the CHICKEN. For the fried chicken, I used a variation of this recipe I found a while ago and changed it to fit my needs–no pickle juice (although I have done this and it’s excellent), no milk (no dairy), no baking powder (I kinda never have this around).
SALT (lots, 1 cup at least)
Ice (1 quart)
Mini frozen Eggo waffles
Chicken thighs (5 lbs, cut into 2-3 inch pieces)
Flour (2 cups)
Powdered sugar (1/3 cup)
Paprika (3 tablespoons)
Cayenne pepper (1 tablespoon, less if you can’t take the heat)
Chili powder (1 tablespoon, less if you can’t take the heat)
Eggs (4, beaten)
Oil for frying (Canola, peanut, something with a high melt temp)
- Brine the chicken–do NOT skip this step. If you don’t have time for an overnight brine, it’s not a big deal. Most of the time I realize in the morning that I want fried chicken and so I do a concentrated quick brine for about 3 hours. For the bring combine, 1 cup salt with 5 cups water and bring to a boil. Dissolve salt. Remove from heat and add ice. When the ice has melted, add the chicken. Let brine for 3-12 hrs.
- Bring oil to high heat (~375).
- Combine flour, sugar, paprika, cayenne, chili powder in one bowl. In another bowl, add the beaten eggs.
- Remove chicken from brine. One piece at a time, add to flour mixture, then egg, then back to the flour mixture. Then add to oil and let cook for about 4-6 minutes. You can obviously cook more than one piece at a time.
- Meanwhile, heat up the eggo waffles. Serve each piece on top of a mini waffle. I served mine in cupcake holders so they were easy to grab. Serve with maple syrup!
BOTTOM LINE: If you put in a little bit of work, you can make amazing fried chicken in a presentation that will impress people.