APP, ENTREE, SIDE DISH, DESSERT?
BW Standard Salad
FEEDS HOW MANY?
FAST, WEEKNIGHT, WEEKEND?
A simple ingredient list, especially if you have some of the spices already
Large skillet, wok
WHO I MADE IT FOR?
I made this on Good Friday for Kelsey and me. Obviously, needed a fish dish because of the holiday, so I browsed Bon Appetit and found this one. I made some minor changes to the recipe. I liked the dish, but I would change a few things (those changes are incorporated into this recipe).
Cod (1.5 lbs, cut into portions for four)
Shallot (3, diced)
Garlic (4 cloves, sliced thin)
Jalapeno (2, minced)
Red pepper flakes (1 tablespoon)
Diced tomatoes (1 14.5 oz can and 1 8 oz can, I use San Marzano)
White wine (1/2 cup)Saffron (a pinch)
Asparagus (1/2 bunch, stalks cut in half)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. On baking sheet, add asparagus and toss with olive oil. Cook for 30 minutes until crispy. Set aside.
- In wok, add olive oil over med-high heat. Add red pepper flakes and stir. Add shallot, jalapeno and garlic and cook for a few minutes. Do not allow garlic to get brown though.
- Add diced tomatoes (do not drain), wine, 1 cup water and saffron. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 10 mins.
- Reduce heat to med-low and add cod. Cover and cook for about 5 mins until cod is opaque and beginning to flake.
- Serve in shallow bowl spooning a good amount of the broth over the cod. Add reserved asparagus.
BOTTOM LINE: One of my favorite cod dishes, will definitely be in the line up. If you like saffron, you will like this dish.