APP, ENTREE, SIDE DISH, DESSERT?
Gazpacho, Spanish Tortilla
FEEDS HOW MANY?
6-8, the pan basically dictates how many people you can make this for
FAST, WEEKNIGHT, WEEKEND?
Because this is a mixed paella, there are a lot of ingredients.
Paella pan (or something similar like a big wok), grill (ideally but can be made on the stove top/oven)
WHO I MADE IT FOR?
I’ve used my glorious paella pan twice. The first time I cooked for Jenna, Switch, Kels, Ashley Deck, Travis. The second time I actually can’t remember who was there apart from Amanda and Kelsey. The first time I made this on the grill. It was April and kinda cold and my pan didn’t exactly fit on the grill so I had to cover the sides of the grill with tinfoil. BUT it was amazing and 100% worked. The second time I made paella, it was winter so the grill wasn’t an option. I started the paella on the stove top (which wasn’t working too well considering the burners are so spread out) and then moved it to the oven. The paella was still great but the grill is so much better. Make sure you have everything prepped when you start cooking.
Chorizo (4 links, cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
Chicken thighs (2 lbs boneless, skinless cut into 2 inch pieces)
Onion (1, diced)
Garlic (6 cloves, minced)
Diced tomatoes (14.5 oz can, drained and minced)
Arborio rice (wish I had found bomba rice but it’s harder to find, 2.5 cups)
White wine (1 cup)
Chicken broth (6 cups)
Pinch of saffron
Paprika (1 tbsp)
Littleneck clams (12, scrubbed and rinsed)
Mussels (1 lb, debearded, scrubbed and rinsed)
Frozen peas (1 bag, thawed)
- Heat up paella pan on grill over high heat. Pour a little bit of olive oil and cook chorizo (about 8 mins). Remove from pan and put aside.
- Cook chicken thighs until lightly browned on both sides (about 6 mins). Remove from pan and put aside with chorizo.
- Add a little bit of olive oil. Cook onions until translucent (about 6 mins).
- Add garlic, paprika and saffron and mix until fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and mix until you have a thick compote like mixture about 12 mins.
- Add rice and mix with tomato compote. Spread out rice in thin layer so most pieces of rice are toasted, about 4 mins.
- Add wine and stir until absorbed.
- Add broth. Close grill and do not stir (or disturb at all) for 20 mins.
- If rice is ready, add reserved chicken and chorizo. Sprinkle peas over rice. Add mussels and clams hinge side down and close grill. Cook until shellfish opens about 12 mins.
- Remove from grill and cover. Let stand for 5 mins. Remove any mussels or clams that haven’t opened. Something to keep in mind, clams take longer to cook. I ended up removing them when I took the paella off the grill and cooking them on the grill for an extra 4 mins until they opened. Serve immediately!
BOTTOM LINE: This dish is a showstopper. It’s work and definitely a lot of ingredients but 100% worth it.