APP, ENTREE, SIDE DISH, DESSERT?
BW Standard Salad
FEEDS HOW MANY?
4, can scale up or down
FAST, WEEKNIGHT, WEEKEND?
Transporting clams is annoying
WHO I MADE IT FOR?
Roommate night with Ashley Deck
Adopted from Bon Appetit: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/linguine-with-herb-broth-and-clams
Butter (1/2 stick)
Onions (2, chopped)
Garlic (6 cloves, smashed)
Tomatoes (cored, chopped)
White wine (3 cups)
Small clams (BA recommends littleneck or Manila clams, I’ve made them with Cherrystone before and just chopped them)
Parsley (1/2 cup chopped, BA only calls for 1/4 but I love the parsley in this dish)
Basil (1/3 cup chopped)
Oregano (1/4 cup chopped)
Crushed red pepper (to taste)
Linguine (2 lbs)
- For the broth: Melt butter with olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent (about 5-8 mins).
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant about 30 secs.
- Add tomatoes and cook until they begin to soften about 2 mins.
- Add white wine and 1 cup water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer, and cover for 20 minutes.
- Bring broth to boil and add clams. Cook until they open and discard any that do not open (~3-5 mins). Transfer clams to large bowl and tent with foil. Since I used big cherrystone clams the last time I made these, this is the part where I took out the clams and chopped them. I left a few in the shell but they were so big that most of them had to be chopped. I also kinda prefer to have some of them chopped and interspersed in the pasta.
- Stir basil, parsley, oregano and red pepper (I used Aleppo pepper OM NOM). Add linguine and cook until pasta is almost at al dente. Add clams back to pot. Cover and simmer until clams are heated and pasta is ready.
BOTTOM LINE: Standard linguine with clams, as great on a summer day as it is on a cold dreary winter night.