APP, ENTREE, SIDE DISH, DESSERT?
BW Standard Salad
FEEDS HOW MANY?
4 skinny people, 2 really hungry people
FAST, WEEKNIGHT, WEEKEND?
Not too many ingredients
WHO I MADE IT FOR?
Katherine and Ashley Deck–this was before Ashley Deck told me she usually ate red meat twice a year and I had already force fed her steak three times. I LOVE this steak because it reminds me of the steak from this cheesy Chinese restaurant, Canton, in Miami. The steak’s marinade makes a juicy, wonderfully tender steak and I’m actually drooling as I reminisce.
Adapted from Bon Appetit: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/grilled-hanger-steak-with-cucumber-salad; my version is a little more time-conscious
Lemongrass, (1 stalk, tough outer layers removed, lightly smashed, very thinly sliced)
Light brown sugar (1/4 cup)
Fish sauce (3 tablespoons)
Asian sweet chili sauce (2 tablespoons for steak, 2 tablespoons for cucumber salad)
1.5 lbs hanger steak (you can use skirt steak as well)
Rice vinegar (1/2 cup)
Lemon zest (BA calls for 1 teaspoon, I say grate until you’re satisfied)
Cucumber (1, thinly sliced)
Carrot (peeled, julienned)
Red onion (1/2, thinly sliced)
Daikon (1/2 peeled, julienned)
- For the steak marinade: combine lemongrass, brown sugar, fish sauce, and sweet chili sauce with steak in plastic bag. Marinate chilled for at least 3 hours, up to 12. I did 3 hours once and 12 hours another time and it made a difference. Definitely marinate for 12 if you can.
- For the cucumber salad: combine vinegar, lemon zest, cucumber, carrot, red onion, and daikon (one time I couldn’t find daikon, and I survived–the real star of this show is the cucumber). Cover and chill–BA calls for 2 hours, I’ve done it anywhere from 30 min-1 hr before (it was a weeknight, ain’t nobody got time for that) and it was fine.
- Take out steak and let sit at room temp for 30 mins.
- BA calls for grilling, but I pan seared the steak instead since it was winter and it was delicious. If you have access to a grill, great–it’s faster. If not, don’t worry. So cook the steak to your pleasing. I pan seared on medium heat for 6 mins on each side and then let sit for 5 to get medium-rare.
- Drain the salad and toss with cilantro and salt. Serve with steak.
BOTTOM LINE: With just a little bit of effort in the morning, you can have an amazing steak at night.